Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Fridge Salad - for a week!!




It really can't get much easier than this:

Ingredients:

- 1 to 2 heads of Romaine lettuce (it depends on how much you want to make and how many people will be eating it. I recommend Romaine simply because it does a good job of not getting all flimsy and wilting on you after it's covered in dressing and left in the fridge).
- 5-6 TBL of dressing (I use about 5 but it depends on how much you like dressing; the trick is remembering that once it all sits in the fridge for a little while, the dressing becomes a bit more noticeable - if you put way too much you'll drown your lettuce!)
I use Newman's Own Light Sun Dried Tomato



- 1 can garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas), drained and rinsed (AWESOME source of fiber and protein)
- Any other salad fixin's you want (I add 1 sliced zucchini and 1 green bell pepper)



Directions:

Just like it says above:
- Throw all the ingredients together, mix it up so they can make friends, and place in a covered container in the fridge until you're ready to eat it
- I keep mine for one week (if it makes it an entire week!)


(Note to self: clean fridge before posting another picture of it)

Before I eat, I crunch up a handful or two of tortilla chips in it - I love my salad with some crunch to it!! We always use Mission tortilla chips (known for being gluten free and they have a great Allergen Control Program in place)



So I mentioned that I try to do this whole thing as cheaply as possible, so here are my tips:

- Yes, it takes more work, but buy the heads of lettuce rather than using the kind in the bag
- Rather than crunching up new chips, when you get to the bottom of the chip bag save the crumbs! I keep mine in a separate bag and use them for this purpose.



- Eat this salad instead of having to go out to buy one :-)

3 comments:

  1. No way, this is awesome!! I need to make this because so many times I'm SO lazy in the mornings and just do NOT feel like making a sandwhich but really should to try and save where I can...so this would be perfect to make ahead and put it in the fridge..GRAB AND GO! I'm all about it! Thanks so much Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to self: Judge Amy on the cleanliness of her fridge... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

    ReplyDelete