Monday, May 3, 2010

Black Bean Brownies

You won't believe this.
You really won't.
I didn't.
I made them.
I didn't.
I ate them.
I didn't.
I ate them again.
I still don't.
INCREDIBLE.

Since going a bit more public with my Celiac Disease, friends have begun to suggest different recipes that they come across. During my time working as a Conservation Educator near the coast of Texas on a wildlife refuge, I was roommates with Evie, a lovely lady working on her M.S. research conducting bird research. Not only did I get to assist her with her research, but I gained a new friend. She thoughtfully suggested this recipe, and I just couldn't turn it down!

So about one week after making the Namaste Foods Gluten Free Brownies, I made these brownies. Admittedly, the others are a hard act to follow. Even then, the results of this recipe were INCREDIBLY impressive. The texture is certainly a bit different than the fudgy brownie AND the cakey brownie, but these black bean brownies have a spectacular texture and taste all their own. I told you once that I'd always be honest with you, and I am holding to that. These are genuinely good. My husband had no idea I had made them with anything but flour. After eating on them the first night, we covered the pan and kept them in the fridge. For the next several days we'd pull a couple out, top with some Homemade Vanilla Blue Bell Icecream, and thoroughly enjoy the delight. For all of you who are wondering: No...you do NOT taste any hint of "beaniness." The beans simply provide the bulk of the recipe (since there is no flour). This must have been the beginning of "flourless desserts" and, I must say, should definitely not be forgotten. I do believe you could serve these and no one would ever pose the question "what are these made of?" Take my word for it...it's absolutely worth trying. Thank you, Evie, for suggesting these! I'll definitely make them again!

INGREDIENTS:

- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 eggs
- 3 TBL. oil
- 4 TBL. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3/4 c. sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 c. white chocolate chips (the batter is a little thin to hold the chips in place, so they sink to the bottom. Have no fear! They still taste great and are a good addition to the brownies if you like them)

DIRECTIONS:

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Pour beans into a blender, set on puree, and blend until smooth

(I took a picture on the slim, off-chance that you didn't believe that I was serious)

- Add the rest of the ingredients to the beans and blend until mixed evenly (since I used our Magic Bullet rather than a full-size blender, I emptied the beans into a bowl and whisked the other ingredients into the mix)

I felt that the mixing bowl deserved its own picture. On March 20, my husband and I had a wedding vow renewal ceremony on our one year anniversary. A couple weeks later, he gave this to me as a gift. It's THE BEST! I figure that food (especially desserts) are even sweeter when made when you're thinking about those you love. Sappy? Yes. Do I care? Nope! Just speaking truth!

- Pour the mix into a greased 8x8 pan
- Cook the brownies for approximately 25 minutes or until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean


Clearly I did not have a toothpick in the house...

Not only will I make these again, but I would recommend the recipe to others (who aren't even GF!) How can you go wrong when incorporating veggies into a tasty dessert?! That's right...you can't! Not when it tastes this good.

I also added brownie icing to my pan of brownies. The brownies didn't need icing, but what brownies aren't even better with additional sugary goodness?


ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment