Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cottage Cheese (and fruit)




INGREDIENTS:

- 1/2 cup cottage cheese (I use HEB fat free version) - (and you can do this dairy free too! Though I haven't eaten it plain, I have baked/cooked with Lactaid brand)
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- cinnamon (to taste)

NUTRITION:

Calories: 107,  Fat: <1g,  Carbohydrates: 12g,  Protein 12.5g
(*NOTE: all nutrition information is estimated based on ingredients and is meant only as a guide)

So I made a new discovery today – and even surprised myself a bit in the process. Cottage cheese has always kind of creeped me out. Maybe it’s the fact that I remember mixing it with the food of my grandparents’ dog, Gypsy, if I ever helped take care of her growing up. Or maybe it gets to the level of creepy all on its own. I mean, come on…have you seen it?

However, in an effort to find high protein, healthy snacks, I decided to give it a fair shot. I vaguely remember trying it a few times over the years, but I think my preconceived notions took a bite out of its shot at success. So as I made out my new grocery list, I added it as the last item…reluctantly…but added it nonetheless. I went to pick out my cottage cheese and found myself at a bit of a loss with all the choices! In other words, I had a bit of a “dairy case query.” How many different types of cheese curds can there be? Yeesh! But after making my selection and returning home, I mixed the cottage cheese with a few strawberry slices. What did I end up with? A nice Valentine’s Day snack for myself and a big shock – I liked it! I mean REALLY liked it! What are the odds?!

So...even now, I keep learning new things about me...and rediscovering things I already knew. It's not that I forgot them, per se...just misplaced the knowledge of it… or maybe just set it down someplace and didn't remember to go pick it back up. For this one, though, all I had to do was lay down what I thought I already had figured out and be willing to open up (even at risk of failure). You never know what’ll happen…
I mean, look…at least I got a snack, right?! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment