Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Apple-cheese-turkeyballs


This recipe is (almost) directly from A Year of Slow Cooking. I just couldn't help but share! I made a couple of minor changes and did not cook these in the crockpot because I was too busy today to get started on time. It is an easy meal to make either way!


You read that right...turkeyballs. I figure that "turkey meatballs" is like saying Rio Grande River. *grin*

So most meatballs are made with breadcrumbs. Two issues with that: #1: breadcrumbs are made with...well...BREAD! (don't worry...there are gluten free breadcrumbs). The issue with that presents problem #2: that whole pesky yeast allergy.

These meatballs are a WONDERFUL change from the typical. The added fruit provides the best taste to counteract the onion. These are a phenomenal surprise. I can't get enough.

When my husband is super delighted with a meal, he'll often say "so tell me about these." Translated: "These are really good. What'd you put in these to make them so great?" (Granted, that may not be verbatim, but that's how I hear it! *BIG GRIN*) I was pleasantly surprised at how much we both liked this meal.


INGREDIENTS:

- 1 lb. ground turkey (I use 99% lean)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and shredded (the easiest way to make this happen is with a cheese grater!)
- 1/4 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (the recipe calls for sharp cheddar, but I use "ol reliable" - the same reduced fat Colby Jack I always use)

DIRECTIONS:

- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spray/grease a 9X13 baking dish
- In a bowl, mix the ground turkey with all of the ingredients (you can have as much fun as you want with this. I do! Use your hands - don't be afraid to get dirty!)
- Make golf-ball-sized meatballs and place them in the pan (I made 16 meatballs with this recipe)
- Bake the meatballs for 20-25 minutes (halfway through the baking I flipped the meatballs to make sure they were cooked evenly).


I served these up with some steamed broccoli and hoecakes. I ate my meatballs with nothing added, but a little ketchup does the trick for those that are "big dippers."

So, to be honest, I was blown away by these. As we sat eating I kept making that "uuuuuugh" noise of satisfaction with the food (okay...and myself). Several times I commented on how great the meal was. Finally, Sam said "You know, hon, you sure worked hard on this meal. How do you feel about the food?" The meatballs turned out to be mighty fine (and healthy) food...what can I say?!

No comments:

Post a Comment