Saturday, October 16, 2010

Tres Leches Cake

Oh man oh man oh man. So we know GF baking can be a little tricky, but this cake is near fool-proof! Promise! I took the shortcut and used a cake mix, so I just tweaked the Betty Crocker recipe for Premium Tres Leches cake and...voila!


I couldn't be more pleased with how this lil' project turned out. I could eat myself sick on this...and will probably do so at breakfast tomorrow. That's right...I said it! BREAKFAST! *GRIN*

INGREDIENTS:

- 1 box Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix
- (a few dashes of cinnamon - optional)
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 stick butter (softened)
- 3 eggs
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk (I used fat free in an attempt to make up for some of the gluttony going on here. Oh well!)
- 1 cup evaporated milk (again with the fat free; you can also use just plain ol' whole milk)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 container of whipped dessert topping, thawed (Cool Whip, etc.)

DIRECTIONS:

- Heat oven to 325 degrees
- Spray/grease 9x13 baking dish
- Beat cake mix, cinnamon, water, butter, vanilla, and eggs for about 30 seconds at a slow pace then kick it up a gear and beat for approximately 2 minutes (or a minute and a half if your forearm starts to burn! I simply used a whisk, as I have no electric mixer. If you use an electric mixer - do the first 30 seconds on low speed then 2 minutes on medium)
- Pour into pan and bake about 25 minutes (keep an eye on it so it won't overbake!)
- Let the cake stand about 5 minutes.
- Using a long-tined fork (or whatever in the world you can find while rummaging through the kitchen drawer), poke holes all over the cake. (The more holes, the more the milk will get soaked into the cake = moist cake!)
- In a bowl, mix the condensed milk, evaporated milk, and whipping cream
- Pour the mixture carefully and evenly over the cake (yes - use it all!)
- Cover the cake and place it in the refrigerator for at least an hour until cake is entirely cool and the mixture has soaked into the cake
- Cover (frost) the cake with the whipped topping (you can use icing for this if you want a SUPER rich cake. For me, it's a little too much...plus it saves having to make your own GF icing!)


I top mine off by sprinkling cinnamon on top. This stuff is soooooo good. I have a weakness for moist cake, and this cake is anything but dry! It is just sweet enough without knocking your teeth out. Tres Leches is absolutely one of my favorites, so I hope this goes over as well at your house as it did at mine!

Something to consider: I made this as a birthday cake. My logic says that calories do not count on birthdays. So...go get the ingredients and bake, bake, bake! It's a birthday somewhere! Celebrate! *GRIN*

No comments:

Post a Comment