Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Bun in the oven...

It's NOT what you think!
They're just rolls... :-D

You know what I miss?

CRESCENT ROLLS

That's right. Those yummy "I'd-stop-eating-these-but-it's-just-not-humanly-possible" golden brown baked goodies. They're those nice, tasty, rolled-up packages of goodness. You know the ones I'm talking about...

Well...here's that...coming to you in a pretty tasty gluten free package :-)

INGREDIENTS:

- 1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup), room temperature
- 3/4 cup small curd cottage cheese (you can use regular, light, or fat free)
- 1 cup Amy's flour mix (this had GREAT flavor. I promise I'm not saying that because I'm biased...it really did)
- 1/4 tsp. xanthan gum (if you use a GF flour mix without any xanthan gum in it, use 1 tsp)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar (I'll be honest....I had to call my grandmother to ask where exactly to find this. If I hadn't, I'd still be wandering the baking aisle at H-E-B. Thanks for saving me, Nahn!)
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 TBL sugar

DIRECTIONS:

- In a mixing bowl, combine butter and cottage cheese
- Add dry ingredients to the bowl and mix until a ball forms (I did it the simple way...just a bowl and a spoon - no mixer)

- Wrap the dough in plastic and chill for at least 2 hours
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Dust counter top or parchment paper with flour
- Roll dough into 14" circle
- Cut circle into 8 triangles (use a pizza cutter - it's THE BEST)

- Roll each triangle up (just like those other crescent rolls you used to miss)
- Place the rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (unless you don't have any in the house *sheepish grin*)

- Using pastry brush (or your finger like I did!) brush the top of each roll with melted butter
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes (mine started to get a tad brown on the bottom before they were baked entirely, so I turned mine over. Sure, they weren't spectacularly pretty, but it worked! No burned bottoms!)


We added a little extra butter and ate these just "as is" with a meal of baked fish, squash, and green beans. They'd be a wonderful addition to any meal. Certainly, they aren't exactly like the crescent rolls you buy in the can at the store, but for a gluten-free, yeast-free bread option...these just can't be topped!

Stay tuned because I plan to use this recipe for apple dumplings (that I learned how to make from my mother and her Bed & Breakfast cooking), cinnamon rolls, AND pig-n-a-blankets!! CAN'T WAIT!!

Speaking of not being able to wait...Sam felt the need to point out that a bit of honey on these lil' babies would probably make a pretty good "follow-up" to the meal. We don't want to waste food, you know. We were too stuffed to try it right after the meal but now....


6 comments:

  1. is there any subsititue for the cottage cheese? i'm dairy free as well as GF...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy, I know that Lactaid brand cottage cheese is a great substitution for those that are lactose intolerant. I actually used that product to make this batch of rolls. I understand that you may be dairy free for other reasons, so I will do some additional research to see if I can find the best answer for you. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fine with lactose, but not to fine with milk protiens. It makes it tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry about being tricky - you can handle it :-)
    I know it can be incredibly frustrating, and I commend you for searching out what works for you.
    So far, I have decided that your best option is to use a typical crescent roll recipe, substitute soymilk (or your preferred milk substitute) for the milk if the recipe calls for it, and use your favorite GF flour mix. I made the version above because I cannot have yeast; however, if you can then recipes such as these might be worth trying:

    http://earthvegan.blogspot.com/2009/12/crescent-rolls.html
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Crescent-Rolls/Detail.aspx

    I have some calls in to family members who have done their fair share of baking. If I find out any additional information I will post it here. Thanks for your patience, and GOOD LUCK :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I will have to give them a try once I get home next week. The earthvegan recipe sounds particularly promising since it doesn't use eggs. (when I'm at school I have very limited cooking facilities and supplies, but once I'm home, my family had better watch out!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's right! Your family doesn't know what's coming! :-)
    I definitely understand about limited resources when away at school. It can certainly make it frustrating when working around allergies, etc. Am so glad you're finding things that work, though. If you don't mind, would you let me know how the recipe turns out if you do get the chance to try it? I'm definitely interested. Good luck, and thanks again for reading, Joy!

    ReplyDelete