Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Chocolate fans, listen up!

Alright folks....this is worth hearing about. So put everything else down and listen up (pick up a pen and paper, too) and write this down....

Namaste Foods Gluten Free Brownie Mix


I would write it again to reiterate the importance, but just know that I spoke it again, directly to you, as I typed this.

My birthday was last week (*HAPPY BIRFDAY TOOOOOO MEEEEEEEEEEEE!*), and a good friend of mine, Megan, brought me some GF goodies as a gift. I was sooooo humbled and couldn't believe how thoughtful she was!! Sam was coming home on Sunday from two weeks out in the field and I wanted to have a little extra for us to share, so I started cabinet shopping. One of the treasures Megan gave me was this brownie mix. (I took a picture for you...let it burn into your brain so you'll be sure to know it when you see it). GF baking can be a shot in the dark on the first go-around with any recipe/mix so, I had my fingers crossed (and made them early enough in the day that I could dash to the store for something reliable if need be!)



Back when I was still on the gluten train, I pretty much refused to eat cakey brownies (alright...refuse is a strong word and, let's face it...chocolate is chocolate...but....) My absolute favorite are more fudge-like: soft and even a little gooey. So, yes, some of that comes from baking time, heat of oven, making sure you measure the water correctly and all those bits and pieces, but you can't overcome the barrier of a recipe or mix that just gives you cakey brownies!

Since having to bail off that gluten train 7 months ago, I pretty much had to forego being all that judgmental because it's harder to find a brownie mix that tastes exactly the way it should. I am not a picky eater by any stretch of the imagination, but when you can still remember what a brownie ACTUALLY tastes like, it's hard to be head over heels for anything less.

Namaste Foods GF Brownie Mix (write it down again) *Enter stage left*

By pure luck, Megan happened to pick this mix off the shelf, and I am forever thankful she did!
The important thing here is just to follow the directions on the bag to the letter, and everything should turn out just right!

Alright...if you got lost in all my raving above, listen up again because this is saying something:
These brownies taste EXACTLY like good ol' glutened-up brownies. PHENOMENAL.
Now, you put any ol' brownie in a bowl full of Blue Bell homemade vanilla icecream and you have bits of heaven right there on your spoon. Same is true here, but these are still mmmm-azing all by themselves.

I made only one minor change to the mix:

I added a few dashes of cinnamon (that's my mom's fault...we're all into the cinnamon thang...)

After I placed the pan in the oven, I was a bit worried about the final product (oh ye of little faith, I know...) so I decided to make icing to top them off. Gotta say...hard to make something this good much better, but the brownies are great with this addition, too.

INGREDIENTS:

3 TBL butter, softened (do the real thing...go on...)
1 TBL honey (this is the real kicker - so good!)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners sugar
Optional: 3 TBL unsweetened cocoa powder (I didn't go this route because am a fan of vanilla icing, but I know it would be great. Oh...and I didn't have any cocoa)

DIRECTIONS:

- Combine all the ingredients (brilliant, I know!)
- Frost brownies while they are still warm (I know what you're thinking: "No! You ALWAYS wait until things have cooled to frost them. I don't want a gooey mess!" But believe me...this time you don't wait. Not only does it help this amount of frosting cover the whole pan, but it creates the perfect icing layer and cools just right. Don't wait! Jump in!)

I only frosted half of the brownies so we could try both versions. BOTH ARE GREAT.



So let me explain...the edges are pretty roughed up in this picture. That COULD possibly-maybe-almost-sorta-pretty-much be the fault of ME who, wanting to get the dishes washed, pulled them out of the pan too early. That COULD also be the fault of ME because I kept pinching off the edges as I took them out of the pan. I am NOT taking responsibility...just sayin...

NOTE:
The real trick is this:
When you're ready to cut the brownies, use a plain ol' cheap plastic knife (the brownies won't stick to the knife and pull). Of course, I did not have a plastic knife at home and wouldn't dream of waiting until I did to cut these. So..."do as I say, not as I do"

I know there are wonderful GF recipes out there for spectacular brownies, but I wanted to share this great find with you, because sometimes you just need life to be a little more simple! I am absolutely making these for the next family function and probably won't tell that I made them - I bet no one will know! :-) Sneaky, sneaky (alright...except for the family members that read this...)

3 comments:

  1. these look AMAZING!!! And thanks for the tip about cutting the brownies..that makes sense and I'll do that now! Thanks so much!! They look soo sooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might enjoy reading this better than actually cooking alongside it! lol. You're hilarious! I, however, am in shock...I have NEVER (not kidding) had anybody else but my husband say they liked fudgy brownies, not cake-like. I'm so laughing right now. WIll definitely try these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,

    I am so glad I can help bring a smile to your face - and make you hungry wanting brownies! (GRIN) I must say...there really is no other way except fudgy. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete