Friday, April 2, 2010

Banana Pudding!!



Well Sam and his cousin are off picking up a couch for our living room (YAAAAAAAAAY for having a place for visitors to sit and sleep!! FINALLY!). I figured this would be a small treat (with BlueBell homemade vanilla icecream, of course!) for after supper tonight. Well...I thought it sounded like a good excuse at least...
I have always been a big fan of banana pudding (that's my dad's fault, I think), but I was afraid it wouldn't be the same without Nilla Wafers...and that would just be tragic. But, believe it or not, we're pleasantly surprised at what a great job the Mi-del GF Arrowroot Animal Crackers do as a replacement. Try it for yourself :-)
To be honest, I was pretty near heartbroken when I realized I would no longer be able to delight in the greatness of BlueBell Banana Pudding icecream (if you don't have Celiac Disease...stop reading this and go buy some...I'll be here when you get back). It does, though, feel good to say that this is an AWESOME way to indulge that banana pudding craving (don't lie...you know you have them too...I'm not the only one...)

INGREDIENTS:

1 heaping TBL GF flour mix (and I mean heaping!)
1/2 cup sugar (it's okay...you can put a lil' more...go on)
2 cups milk (I use whole milk for this particular recipe even though I usually have skim)
2 eggs
1 TBL butter
1/4 tsp vanilla (if you put too much it will start to have a chocolate taste)
GF animal crackers
Bananas (2-3 depending on how many you decide you want)

DIRECTIONS:

- Mix flour and sugar in a saucepan
- Add eggs and mix well



- Turn on the burner (I keep mine on Medium heat)
- Slowly add in the milk a little at a time and continue stirring constantly



- Continue stirring until the mixture thickens (do this until it is the consistency you want. It will boil before it gets thick enough so don't forget to keep stirring! I stirred with a whisk the entire time but used a spoon here to try and show the consistency? Futile effort??)



- After it thickens, add butter and vanilla to taste (I recommend 1 TBL butter and 1/4 tsp vanilla, but add to your heart's desire)

- Layer animal crackers and banana slices in a dish or just throw it all in a bowl (I use an 8X8 Pyrex baking dish)



- Pour the pudding mixture on top of the animal crackers and banana slices





- Crumble extra animal crackers on top


- Place in refrigerator until cold (generally several hours or even over night)

No comments:

Post a Comment