Wednesday, July 21, 2010

BBQ Cowboy Beans

Recipe is adapted from $5 dinners
(This is a GREAT blog. For anyone who likes to cook things that are budget friendly whenever possible (who doesn't!?), this is worth checking out. There are some meals listed as gluten free; however, others (like this one) are pretty easily converted. Other allergen-friendly meals are available as well.)

INGREDIENTS:

- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- Lawry's salt (or other seasoned salt, or just omit if you don't want the extra sodium)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (I use 1 tsp. minced garlic)
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 c. BBQ sauce (Sam and I are faithful fans of Head Country BBQ sauce. It is labeled GF and all versions are incredibly tasty)
- 1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- a few shakes of Worchestershire sauce (check to confirm yours is GF! I use French's)
- 1 TBL sugar (brown or white - just to cut the tang a bit if you want to)

ADDITIONS:

- 1/2 bag frozen corn - cook as directed (I cooked a couple of ears of fresh corn. You can just throw this last ingredient in right before you serve or use it as a side dish - your choice! Our thoughts: "why have to return the fork to the plate and back to your mouth TWICE when you can just do it once!?") *GRIN*
- DROP BISCUITS (these MAKE the meal)

DIRECTIONS:

- Brown beef with onion, garlic, and seasoned salt (to taste)
- Add beans, BBQ sauce, and tomatoes, sugar, and Worchestershire sauce
- Let simmer (the original recipe calls for only 10 minutes; however, I am a firm believer in the fact that meals such as this (chili, etc.) are better the longer they cook. I let mine simmer on low for almost an hour; however, you just do your thang! To be honest, the only reason I was able to make it that long without eating was because I was busy baking biscuits.)

I served this with some shredded cheese and then we had at it. We've got plenty left for "re-dos" (as leftovers are called in my family), and that is always the best part. I'll be making this meal again soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment